Right hand turn – often on a red light, a vehicle will make a right turn into cross traffic. These accidents are often due to misjudging the timing.
Left hand turn – when making a left-handed turn, the driver either needs a green light, or will yield on a yellow light to on-coming traffic. In Utah it is legal to make a left hand turn when yielding to oncoming traffic when it is safe to do so. These accidents often occur due to misjudged timing and/or ignoring the yellow or red light.
Continuing straight – these accidents occur when the driver fails to come to a complete stop at a red light. Often drivers will run the red, causing conflict with cross traffic that has the legal right to the intersection.
Standard Causes of Intersection Accidents
- Running Red Lights or Stop Signs – Increasing speed to attempt to clear the intersection or rolling through a stop increases the risk of being involved in an accident with another vehicle.
- Distracted Driving – Texting, conversations, loud music, not watching the road and surroundings, and other activities of inattention may increase your chances of a car crash.
- Making illegal turns – When there are signs informing drivers of no-turn on red, or no u-turns, it’s in an effort to prevent accidents and traffic build up. When a driver disregards these signals, their actions can cause confusion and conflict on the roadway.
- Failure to Signal Turn or Merge – Signaling lane changes and turns, alerts other drivers to your intentions and can help avoid accidents.
- Driving Under the Influence – Getting behind the wheel of the car when under the influence of drugs or alcohol can cause an accident due to impaired decision making, slower reaction time, and reckless behavior.
Now these aren’t all the possible causes of intersection accidents, but they are the most typical. In 2021, there were over 27,000 intersection related accidents. We can reduce this number by reducing our distractions, slowing down and paying more attention to our surroundings.
If you’ve been injured in an auto accident. We can help. Call us today to speak to an attorney.