Call us for free consultation (435) 673-9990

What to Do After a Hit-&-Run Crash

Car accidents are frightening. But when a hit and run accident occurs, the uncertainty and level of stress can feel more overwhelming and frustrating.What can be done after a hit and run auto accident? First, you should stay calm and take reasonable actions to protect yourself or others from immediate danger and potential injury.Check for injuries

Assess if you’re hurt as well as any passengers in your vehicle. If multiple vehicles are involved, and you are able and not at risk for further injury, you may check on other drivers and passengers well-being.

Call 9-1-1 for emergency services for serious injuries. Even if you feel fine or have minor injuries, having a medical professional evaluate your injuries can help determine if you have any hidden injuries, you’re unaware of. Any injury should be identified and treated immediately to give you the best chance at a full recovery.

Contact law enforcement

Utah code 41-6a-401 states that any person who knows or has reason to believe that they have been involved in a car accident resulting in property damage, physical injuries, or death must stop and remain at the scene of the accident. Drivers must exchange contact and insurance information

When an accident involves property damage over $2,500 law enforcement should be notified and a police report filed. Leaving the scene of an accident where there is property damage is a Class B misdemeanor.

When Injury or death occurs, those involved in the accident and able, should offer reasonable assistance and call emergency services. A driver who leaves the scene of the accident where someone was injured may be guilty of either a Class A misdemeanor or a third-degree felony, depending on the severity of the other party’s injuries.

If no injuries are reported, you should call the non-emergency line to report the accident and file a report. If the other party flees the scene, other officers in the area can be on lookout for the offending party. For this reason, you should contact the police as soon as possible.

Make a record

Even though you’re shaken up and pumping full of adrenaline, take the time to be present and recall events of the incident.  If the other vehicle drives away, try to get their license plate, color, make and model of their vehicle. Do your best to get a description of the driver, direction they were headed and any other details that lead up to the crash. Any photos or video recording can also help your claim and case. The more you can remember and report, the better your chances of finding the other driver and getting the compensation you deserve.

Getting written witness statements of those who saw the accident and can help corroborate your experience.

Notify your insurance company

You’ll want to report any property damage to your vehicle. If the at-fault driver flees, you still may be able to use any non-insured motorist coverage to cover the costs needed to repair your vehicle. Remember in the state of Utah, drivers are required to have a minimum of $3,000 of personal injury protection coverage. This coverage can help cover a portion of medical expenses as a result of the accident.

Call McMullin Injury Law

Our attorneys will go to work for you. We understand the devastating toll a car crash has on people. We will help get your claim covered and assist you with getting the compensation you deserve so you can focus on recovery.