- Poor visibility – It’s hard for drivers to see pedestrians walking on poorly lit roads, especially if reflective clothing isn’t worn.
- Failure to yield the right of way – A motorist or pedestrian enters the intersection when it isn’t their turn and/or it is unsafe to do so.
- Distracted driving – Texting or talking on the phone, excessive noise, not paying attention to the roadway and conditions create a very dangerous environment.
- Bad weather – Fog, rain, and ice can make it difficult to see at times and may even cause the driver to lose control and swerve out of their lane.
- Alcohol or drugs – From slow reaction time and impaired judgement, being under the influence increases the chance of an accident to occur.
Pedestrian accident injuries
Accidents can range from mild to severe, scratches to life-threatening conditions, even death.
- Lacerations and bruising
- Broken or missing teeth
- Broken bones
- Joint dislocation
- Ligament tears and strains
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
How are my injuries covered
Utah is a no-fault state, so personal injury protection can cover $3,000 of medical expenses. If you file a claim with an attorney, your attorney will work to cover the cost of the following:
- Medical bills – once PIP expires, any medical bills can be submitted for your claim. Even if the motorist or pedestrian are “fine,” individuals involved in auto accidents should be evaluated by a medical professional to make sure there aren’t less obvious or hidden conditions.
- Lost wages – You can be reimbursed by submitting an employer authorization reporting the amount of work missed. And a note from a medical doctor stating that you cannot work. Under Utah law PIP can pay up to $250 per week in lost wages.
- Vehicle repairs – Damages due to the accident can cover repairs to your vehicle.
- Funeral expenses in the event of wrongful death – If an individual dies in a fatal car crash, PIP and other insurance benefits can assist in covering the loss of the individual. An attorney can help you understand your legal rights.
How can a pedestrian attorney help me
If you or a loved one has been injured in pedestrian accident, we can help. McMullin Injury Law specializes in personal injury cases. You have the right to seek and receive the compensation you deserve to cover the cost of your medical expenses and other losses. It can be difficult to navigate recovery and the back and forth with the insurance company. As experienced attorneys, we will be able to handle the correspondence and negotiation with the insurance company to allow you time to recover and peace of mind. Call us today.